Saturday, August 11, 2012

Moroccan Chickpea Stew

In a bizarre fit of vegetarianism, I decided to make a chickpea stew the other day.  I had something similar at a French bistro, and it was so good that I decided to try it at home.  The beauty was that I had most of the ingredients in my pantry already, so I just had to buy some yogurt (which makes the dish, so don't skip it).

Moroccan cooking is heavily influenced by the French, so that's why I've added thyme to my recipe.  You won't see it in the original pictures, but I added it to the leftovers the next day and reheated on the stove, and it really brought a sweet, perfumed flavor to the dish that elevated it from a somewhat bland stew to something that seemed more, well, global.  If you really want to get crazy, the advice I got yesterday was to add za'atar, an Arab spice blend containing sesame seeds, sumac, thyme, salt, and other spices.  You can also cook this in a tagine if you're lucky enough to have one.

Moroccan Chickpea Stew, served over rice and garnished with greek yogurt


Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Adapted from Cooking Light

  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 medium)
  • 1 cup diced carrot (about 1 large)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, minced, seeds mostly removed
  • 1 1/2 cups cubed waxy potato such as Yukon gold, peeled, about 1 large
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced, or 1/2 tsp za'atar seasoning (optional)
  • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained, or 4-5 fresh tomatoes, peeled
  • 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
  • 1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth
  • 3 cups hot cooked rice or couscous
  • 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt, preferably greek

The setup.  You can use either canned chickpeas or the dried kind, but you'll need to cook them extra if you choose the latter.  FYI, I used a russet and was careful with the cooking time, but Yukon gold is preferred.
I should have used canned tomatoes, but I liked using my heirlooms from my garden.  If you're using whole though, peeling them would be preferable.  See my guide on that here and here.

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add onion, carrot, garlic, and jalapeño to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until tender.  You can brown these slightly, but make sure not to burn anything.

Saute the more hearty vegetables first

Stir in the potato and next 8 ingredients (through broth).  Bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender.  If you use waxy potatoes like Yukon golds, you have some safety margin on overcooking.  If you use russets though, the starch will dissolve and your potato will turn to mush if you go too long.  Just something to be aware of.

Once you've sauteed the stronger vegetables, add the quick cooking potato, tomato, and chickpeas, along with the broth and spices.

The finished stew.  Everything cooks down quickly, so it's a very fast dish.

To serve, plate over rice or couscous.  A nice presentation I had once was to serve in a roasted eggplant half, which is then placed on a bed of couscous.  Top with yogurt and perhaps minced cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...